Course: New Teacher Survival Guide: High Impact Strategies for NQTs
- This event has passed.
September 22 9:30 am 4:00 pm
Research shows that 4 out of 10 trainees were not teaching six months after leaving university and a further 18 per cent of newly qualified teachers quit within three years.
This course will provide a toolkit of excellent ideas and advice relating to all aspects of your first few years of teaching, as well as preparing you for everything the inspectors could throw at you.
The presenter has mentored PGCE/NQT/GTPs and trained teachers, middle and senior leaders for more than 15 years and is regularly rated by delegates as “outstanding”. The course is designed to consolidate and build on the skills you have learnt in your first year of teaching taking them to a higher level rather than repeating what you already know.
Creative lesson ideas
- Review of current practice – where are you now?
- Planning time – putting theory into action
- Developing independent and resilient learners
- How to make your students work harder than you do
Focus on your career and professional development
- Liaising with middle and senior leaders
- Getting noticed for the right reasons
- Making the most of your appraisals
High standards of engagement and behaviour
- How do I develop a positive classroom culture?
- How your behaviours affect pupils’ behaviours
- How to avoid/ deal with some common behavioural issues
- Practical tips and hints that are proven to work
- Motivational ideas
Moving towards outstanding teaching
- Great starters and plenaries
- Inspectors’ views about outstanding lessons and schools
- What small strategies can have big impacts in my classroom?
- Integrating formative assessment into your classroom practices
- What you can do differently tomorrow to make a difference
“To say that the first year of teaching is challenging would be an understatement. There are so many moving parts to manage and so many new things to learn that it’s sometimes difficult to know where to start.”
Speaker: John Medlicott, JMC Consulting.