Lesson Observation & Performance management: strategies to improve teaching and pupil outcomes through effective observations, feedback and coaching
Effective teacher professional development, appraisal and capability place effective and accurate observations of teaching and learning at the heart of the process of overall improvement in both teacher and pupil outcomes and progress.
This course will explore practical strategies to ensure rigorous and robust lesson observations are at the centre of any school’s performance management processes, and highly effective lesson observation is used to inform and improve ISI “Excellent” learning and teaching.
Robust lesson observations for improved pupil outcomes and progress:
• What has changed in the new ISI framework?
• What is ISI looking for?
• Making judgments on the quality of T &L; what do “excellent” or grade 1 lessons look like?
• Gathering evidence on pupil outcomes in lessons
• How to monitor your input as observer, coach and make sure what you do leads to improvement in teaching and student progress
Raising the profile of Teaching and Learning and creating a culture of sharing best practice
• Strategies to improve professional dialogue between colleagues
• Developing an “open door” culture amongst staff
• The latest models for highly effective CPD in Independent Schools
• Evaluation and monitoring techniques for middle and senior leaders
Observing lessons 101: The top 10 pitfalls to AVOID when observing lessons
• Observing effectively in full lessons or learning walks
• Overcoming the key challenges and difficulties
• Gathering the right evidence
Practical session- observing lessons and evaluating pupil outcomes
• This session will involve analysing video clipsGiving effective feedback: advanced feedback session
• Coaching and mentoring
• Peer observation and co-coaching
• How to give feedback, act upon, the whole process, what to do to make improvements with teachers