Course: Learning to Learn
- This event has passed.
May 12, 2017 10:00 am 4:00 pm
In this course Tom will take you through the process of learning to learn but with a clear emphasis on how to build the various techniques and ideas into your every day classroom teaching.
- Understanding the ‘how’ and ‘why’ of learning
- Creating the ‘climate for learning’
- Where to set your benchmark
- Motivating the uninterested
- The capacity of the coaching model
- The 3 R’s of the learning process
- Registration, Retention and Recall
- The other R’s of Learning power
- How this all fits with Growth mindset
- Making the most of marginal gains
- How to structure a lesson with the process in mind
- Building learning momentum and then sustaining progress
- Where to build in Differentiation and AfL
- Formative vs Summative Assessment
- The impact of Working and Learning Styles
- Powerful starts and finishes and the role of homework
- The role of good questioning and developing HOTS
- Core strength and self belief
- Developing the individual learner
- Whole class approaches
- Careful use of the data
- Marking, Feedback and Student Dialogue
- Celebrating achievement and capitalising on gains
You are as likely to find Tom Barwood tutoring an individual pupil as teaching a class or delivering a whole school workshop. His passion is to see everyone fulfil their true potential and that is something he is happy to do at any level.
All of this means that a day spent in his company is well worth while as he can take you all the way from the latest advances in education thinking to what to do with a difficult class or individual pupil with ease.
The emphasis on all of his workshops is how to make learning more productive and therefore more enjoyable for all concerned.
This will be a busy, informative and lively day so come armed with some good ideas to share, an open mind and a willingness to participate.